Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sharing My Fear

I have found a new blog thanks to a friend in Montreal. It is called the Cassandra Pages and its author is the same Elizabeth Adams who wrote Going to Heaven: The Life and Election of Bishop Gene Robinson.

In the few pieces I read, I felt my own thoughts and fears bouncing back at me from her words.

These things that are wrong with this country are not over simply because we elected a man of color. My worry is that it took the possibility of an old white man dying in office and leaving behind a fundamentalist white woman with little sense of how anything works much less politics to elect a person of color. We cannot ever forget or even deny that fear of women helped catapult Barack Obama into the Democratic Party nomination. In this case, it was fear of an intelligent woman. That is even more frightening than a less than intelligent woman or even more scary than a black man.

No, we are not even close to being done in this struggle against the isms.

So, I share this blog with you. I hope that some of the posts bring tears to your eyes as well.
http://www.cassandrapages.com/the_cassandra_pages/

3 comments:

Lauralew said...

Thanks for this, Barbi. I've bookmarked this.

Today I sat in on a discussion of how isms are so not done, especially in our state of South Dakota. We cannot forget that many are not interested in the well being of the many, just their own tiny part of the world. Our job is to counteract this point of view with love.

Jeffri Harre said...

Just supposing the shoe was on the other foot, and Hillary Clinton had won the democratic nomination. Would the thought then be that fear of black men catapulted a woman into the democratic nomination? Sounds to me like damned if you do and damned if you don't.

We definitely have a long, long, long road ahead of us in the strugle against the isms.

Barbi Click said...

But, Jeffri, she didn't, did she?

The essence of Tucker

I found this essay while looking for something else. It brought a smile to my heart to remember how inquisitive Tucker was, how SO Alive he ...