Sunday, August 03, 2008

Warm Words

I clearly remember walking into the sanctuary of All Saints Pasadena. I was there for my first Integrity Board meeting in October 2006. Already overcome by the sheer fact that I was a very long way from home, I was awed by the place, to say the least. The idea of knowing the voices that had stood in that same space and spoken out against all forms of injustice sent shivers up and down my spine. I knew that I was in a holy place where great things happened in the name of the Gospel.

All Saints is the only parish that I know within the Diocese of Los Angeles. I can only assume that there are others that are similar. Mainly, I know that reading the words of Bishop Bruno on the last day of the Lambeth Conference warmed the ice that threatened to form around the edges of my heart. I read his words after reading the Archbishop of Canterbury’s call for moratoria on same sex blessings and the consecration of gay or lesbian bishops.

So, it is with great thanks that I read the Bishop of Los Angeles statement caught by Jim Naughton at Episcopal Café on the last day of Lambeth (Episcopal Cafe).

“I can only say that inclusion is a reality in our diocese and will continue to be. For people who think that this is going to lead us to disenfranchise any gay or lesbian person, they are sadly mistaken.”

Thank you, Bishop Bruno.

No comments:

The essence of Tucker

I found this essay while looking for something else. It brought a smile to my heart to remember how inquisitive Tucker was, how SO Alive he ...